MISSION STATEMENT

Our Mission:

Indiana Writers’ Consortium inspires and builds a community of creative writers.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Research history of your family by Katherine Flotz

My passion is to search out family history – memoirs of worthwhile facts that are usually hidden away in the minds of our older relatives. I lost my parents early in life. I cannot ask them about their fondest memories, their adventures, and their stories of family functions. I depend on friends of my parents, still alive, to fill me in.

There are many questions we want to ask but it’s often too late. In my memoirs ‘A Pebble in my Shoe” I write about my memories as a child and later as a wife and mother. I wish that I could ask my parents or grandparents about their childhoods and the culture at the time. So much change in fifty years.

In this wonderful world of the Internet, so much more is possible. I have saved all the emails my grandson sent us during his college years. I bound the copies into a book and will give that to him when he settles down with a family. In reading the emails over, I learned so much of his character, his likes and dislikes, his feelings for teachers and classmates and his ambitions.

I also write a Christmas letter each year and have done so for thirty years. My relatives and friends out of town wait for those letters. Again, I bound them into a book and check back when I want to know what happened in a specific year. It is a diary of sorts, as well as a historical family keepsake. It spans children’s births, school activities, weddings, and deaths. It’s a lifespan of history.

Ask your older relatives for a visit and make it a day to remember and chat. Make them feel important and you will reap the benefits along the way. Grandfathers probably served in WWII, fathers perhaps in Korea or Vietnam. Grandmothers may have worked in unusual places during those years. Mothers may have served in the armed forces as well. No facts are useless; the lives of your family are important and worthwhile to record.

It’s easy to write what you know. This is a project that can serve as a practice session for future novels. Life is a novel. You only need to change the facts and the story falls into place.

If you can get photos of family members no longer alive, include them into the memoirs and honor their memory. Children can see who their ancestors were, even though they never met them.

No comments:

Post a Comment